UN Convention on the Rights of the Child Article 23: A child with a disability has the right to live a full and decent life with dignity and independence, and to play an active part in the community. Governments must do all they can to provide support to disabled children.

UN Convention on the Rights of the Child Article 29: Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full. It must encourage the child’s respect for human rights, as well as respect for their parents, their own and other cultures, and the environment.

Bourne Community College is an 11 to 16 state maintained comprehensive school with a Specialist Support Centre for students with social communication needs on site.

We are a school that celebrates and supports the wellbeing and achievement of all students to achieve the highest aspirations.
All children have needs but some children have needs that are additional to those of their peers. The aim of our school is for those additional needs to be met so that all students can experience happiness and educational success.

At Bourne Community College we want students to develop as independent learners. We also promote the physical, mental, moral, cultural, spiritual, emotional and social development of the students.

All teachers at Bourne Community College have a responsibility for the students in their classes with Special Educational Needs. This means they need to provide a suitable environment and appropriate work for them. They are supported in this by the SEN department, which uses the SEN Code of Practice 2014 as a basis for its policies.

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Adam Brazier (abrazier@bourne.org.uk).

1. How does the school know if a child needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

1a. How does the school know if a child needs extra help?

A student may be identified as having a Special Educational Need (SEN) at any stage during his/her education. This may be a long term difficulty requiring continuing support or a short term difficulty requiring a specific intervention.

Information about your child’s special educational needs comes from a number of sources:

  • Primary schools in preparation for Year 7 transfer
  • The students themselves.
  • From parents/ carers.
  • Education, Health and Social Care professionals such as Doctors, external professional such as Educational Psychologists, Occupational Therapists
  • Cognitive Abilities Tests.
  • Yearly screening tests for reading and spelling.
  • Observations.
  • Teaching Assistant/Teacher feedback.
  • Scrutiny of progress reviews and reports.

Students do not go on the register because they appear to be falling behind. Students must have an identified specific weakness.

The SEND register is a fluid document and students may be included on the register.

1b What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you think that your child may have special educational needs that have not been previously identified please contact the Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO) Adam Brazier: abrazier@bourne.org.uk

2. How will Bourne Community School staff support my child?

Support through ‘Quality First Teaching’

All teachers at Bourne Community College are committed to provide outstanding teaching and learning for all students including those with special educational needs or disability.

Teachers provide a suitable environment and appropriate work. They are supported in this by the SEN department, which uses the SEN Code of Practice as a basis for its policies.

Work is thoroughly marked and students have a clear understanding of each grade boundary and what they should be working towards and how they can achieve it.

This helps students with special educational needs and disabilities identify the areas they are good at and those areas that need more support. It also promotes independent learning which supports our Rights Respecting ethos.

Support through information sharing with teachers

The SENCO ensures that staff have appropriate information about students on the SEND register. This means that teachers are able to provide a suitable environment, plan appropriate work and support for students.

The SENCO shares information about students with the staff in the following ways:

The SEN Register: The SEN Register is maintained by the SENCO. Students are placed on the register in accordance with the guidelines contained in the SEN Code of Practice 2014. This is continually updated.

One Page Profiles: All students on the SEN register have a one page profile. This gives staff more detailed information about the students, including what is important to the student, how they learn best and strategies to be employed by teachers to ensure effective learning.

Staff Briefings: The SENCO verbally briefs staff on the progress of SEND students in the twice weekly staff briefing meetings.

Support through Exams Access Arrangements

Students who may require access arrangements such as a scribe, reader or additional time for public examinations undergo more detailed assessment, in line with the guidelines produced by the exam boards at the end of year 9. Their guidelines are very strict.

Support through Interventions

When a child is identified as having special needs, we provide interventions that are additional to the school’s usual differentiated curriculum and strategies. These interventions may be:

  • Targeted TA support in class.
  • Out of class group work, focusing on literacy, numeracy and social communication, social and emotional literacy.
  • Additional support focussing on the Educational Objectives of the student’s Statement or EHCP such as speech and language programmes, physiotherapy programmes.
  • Homework support, where possible and where able to remain COVID secure.
  • Homework support is provided by individual departments and in the library at break times and after school.
  • The SEN support team offer support to students with special educational needs in completing homework. Support is available every night after school, except Friday.
  • Support from external Education, Health and Social Care professionals

Support through external agency support

If a student continues to have difficulties and it is decided to consult external services parents are always informed first.

At Bourne Community College we liaise closely with the following organisations:

  • Autism Sussex
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Educational Welfare Officer
  • Ethnic Minorities Achievement Team (EMAT)
  • Family Link Worker
  • Family Resource Team
  • Hampshire County Council Special Educational Needs team
  • Littlegreen School
  • Looked after Learners Team
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Near2School
  • Physiotherapy
  • School Nurse
  • Sensory Support Teams
  • Social and Caring Services
  • Social Communication Team
  • Speech and Language Service
  • Targeted Youth Services
  • The West Sussex Fair Access Team
  • Think Family
  • Traveller Support Team
  • Youth Offending Team
  • West Sussex County Council Special Educational Needs Team
  • West Sussex SEND Information, Advice and Support Service
  • Further Education Colleges: Chichester College, Havant & Southdowns and many others.

3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

The SEN Department aims to ensure the fullest possible access to the curriculum for students with special and additional educational needs.
The provision is reviewed constantly to ensure it addresses the current needs of students.

Personalised curriculum

Modifications to the curriculum are dependent upon the needs of the individual student. Any modification is the result of careful discussion between the students, parents and staff at Bourne Community College.

Some students may receive additional withdrawal support during the curriculum time.

GCSE Subject Choices

At Key Stage 4 students are guided through discussions with parents and staff to make choices that are appropriate to the aptitudes and preferences of students. Careful guidance is given to parents and students through Option information evenings, meetings with subject teachers and SENCO. Students are supported in making sure that their option choices are appropriate for their aptitudes, preferences and ambitions.

4. How will I know how my child is doing?

We believe that the education of students is a partnership between parents and the school. A culture of co-operation between parents, schools, LEAs and others is important in enabling students with special educational needs to achieve their potential. Meetings and discussions with parents are encouraged in the following ways:

  • Progress Reviews and School Reports: Regular assessment information is sent home.
  • Parents Evenings: Parents/carers are invited to discuss progress with teachers and the SENCO.
  • Additional parental meetings: If there are further concerns about your child’s progress then the Leader of Year or SENCO will invite the parents/carers for a meeting to discuss how we can support your child.
  • Annual Review meeting: If your child has an EHCP, an Annual Review will also take place which is an in depth look at progress and well-being at school.
  • SEN Progress meetings: Parents of children with special educational needs will be invited to meet with members of the SEN team to discuss the progress of specific objectives.

We actively encourage our parents to pick up the phone, ring, or email us to ensure we are aware of our students’ difficulties or successes. We are therefore able to respond appropriately and immediately.

5. What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?

Year Leaders/ Year Managers for Pastoral Support

Each year group is looked after by a Leader of Year and Student Manager. Leaders of Year are responsible for the day-to-day running of relevant year groups.   Tutors should be the first point of contact for general concern.

SENco for Special Educational Needs support

If your child is on the SENd register and you have a particular concern in regard to special educational needs then you should contact the SENCO.

Safeguarding and Child Protection

All staff and students are made aware of the Designated Safeguarding Leads Janet Murray-Brown and Nicola Constable through assemblies and PSE lessons. Their contact details are promoted across the school.
Janet Murray Brown: jmurraybrown@bourne.org.uk
Nicola Constable: nconstable@bourne.org.uk

Bullying Helpline

Students can text or ring the Bourne Community College bullying mobile number or can email concerns via the report button on the Bourne website.

First Aid

We safeguard the well-being of all students and manage first aid arrangements by ensuring there is adequate training of staff, provision of first aid equipment and recording of first aid treatment.

Health Care Plans

Students deemed to have a significant health condition will be the subject of a Health Care Plan which will record their individual medical needs at school.

School Counsellor

Our school counsellor is available to provide counselling to students referred by the pastoral team.

Think Family Worker

Our Think Family Worker is available to provide support to students who are allocated to her caseload. She is based on site and therefore students have access to meet with her.

6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The Individual Learning Support Team have extensive experience supporting students on the SENd register. They are constantly updating their knowledge through CPD with external professional agencies.

If further support is needed the SENCO can access the following services:

  • CAMHS (Children and Young Persons Mental Health Service)
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Educational Welfare Officer
  • Ethnic Minorities Achievement Team (EMAT)
  • Family Link Worker
  • Family Resource Team
  • Hampshire County Council Special Educational Needs team
  • Looked After Learners Team
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Near2School
  • Physiotherapy
  • School Nurse
  • Sensory Support Teams
  • Social and Caring Services
  • Speech and Language Service
  • Traveller Support Team
  • Youth Offending Team
  • West Sussex County Council Special Educational Needs Team
  • Further Education Colleges
  • Bourne Think Family Link Worker to provide support for families who meet the Think Family criteria.

What training do staff supporting children with SEND have or are having?

Members of the SEND team and whole teaching staff have regular training on matters to do with providing the best support for students with special educational needs.

External Training

We have excellent working relationships with external support agencies such as the Speech and Language Team, CAMHS, Educational Psychology and the Social Communication Team. These agencies regularly provide training to the entire staff.

Staff regularly attend training sessions held off site. Recent training includes: Provision for students with Down Syndrome, SEND and Anti Bullying.

In House training

We have a rigorous in house training programme which the SENCO  delivers to the teaching staff and the learning support teams.

First Aider training

Key staff have undertaken First Aid training to provide immediate response to common first aid situations.

8. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

All students have equal access to trips.

Bourne Community College offers numerous extracurricular activities which all students are encouraged to attend whether it is a sporting activity, drama or gardening etc.

Teaching Assistants provide support where it is required to ensure students can access the extra-curricular activity whether it is a residential trip or school club.

Parents will be consulted about the best way to support children with special educational needs.

9. How accessible is the school environment?

  • Entrances to the school have ramps.
  • Parts of the school are over two floors which are inaccessible to wheelchair users as there are no lifts. Lessons are timetabled to venues to ensure that wheelchair users have full access to the entire curriculum.
  • Disabled toilet facilities are available in every part of the school
  • The sports centre is wheelchair friendly.

10. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school and then transfer to college?

Transition to Bourne

Transition is very important and we work hard to ensure that all students have a smooth transition. The SENCO and relevant Leader of Year and Student Manager meet with the admissions team from each feeder school in the spring term to give information on each student. Extra transition visits to Bourne Community College can be arranged to make children feel comfortable about coming to our school.

Transition programmes are flexible and respond to the individual needs of students. Parents of children on the SEND register are also invited to meet with the SENCO prior to the transition visit.

This process will also occur for students with special educational needs transferring into other year groups.

Transition from Bourne into college or 6th form or training:

SEN Careers Advisors

If your child currently has an Education, Health and Care plan then he/she will meet with the Careers Advisor to ensure the support put in place continues into college. All educational objectives stated in the EHCP will follow through with your child and the statutory responsibilities that come with that.

Transition from Bourne: Careers Education

All students have careers advice via their PSHE Curriculum and have the opportunity to examine courses and the various colleges to see which would meet their needs best. All students have the opportunity to visit local Colleges on taster days. Learning support staff can accompany students with special educational needs if this is requested by the student and/or parent.

Transition from Bourne: Bourne Community College Careers Convention

Bourne Community College host a careers convention in which all of the major local, post 16 education providers and local employers are attending. Students with SEND are supported in attending and meeting the candidates.

Transition from Bourne: Support in application process

The SEND and Pastoral staff provide support in making applications, preparing for and attending interviews and arranging transition programmes with the local Colleges and Sixth Forms.

Transition from Bourne: Taster visits

All students attend a taster visit at a local College/Sixth Form. A personalised programme of additional visits can also be arranged between the College of choice, parents and Bourne Community College.

11. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The SEND budget allows the school to support the employment of Teaching Assistants and SEND teacher who work one-to-one with students with an EHCP or facilitate small group work for students who need extra support in literacy, numeracy or social interaction.

Teaching Assistants are also an extremely important part of the department and support students throughout the school to ensure they can access the curriculum in class.

The budget is also used to buy equipment/resources for the department so that all students’ needs are met.

12. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Decisions about the type and amount of support given to a student are made on the specific needs of the student.

All students who have an ECHP get TA support in lessons as specified in their plans. External agencies, where appropriate, are also invited in to assist with supporting specific needs.

All students are tested when they first arrive at Bourne Community College and regularly monitored if extra support is needed we try our best to accommodate that and if we need to be advised by external agencies then the SENCO will invite the specialist in to discuss individual’s needs. Monitoring follows a ‘plan, do, review’ cycle.

Students are regularly assessed to ensure input from the SEND department is having a positive impact. This is not always measured in scores and levels but may be examined in terms of raised self-esteem or self-confidence which are, of course, very important for emotional well-being.

The Bourne Student Support Centre.

The BSSC is a specialist centre for students with statements of Educational Need or Education, Health Care Plans. This is a West Sussex Provision. Students are admitted through application to West Sussex Local Authority Special Educational Needs team rather than the usual admissions process.

13. How are parents/carers involved in the school? How can I be involved?

The opinions of parents and carers are vital for the school to develop and are taken very seriously by all staff. The school operates an open communication policy which ensures that parents feel confident that if they have an enquiry it will be dealt with quickly.

Parents Evenings

Parents/carers are invited to Parents Evenings each year and receive interim and full school reports to monitor their child’s progress.

Requested Meetings

If parents/carers have any concerns they can contact the designated Leader of Year or the SENCO.  The Senior Leadership Team is also available to listen to any concerns parents/carers may have.

Year 9 Option Evenings

In Year 9 parents/carers are invited in to discuss GCSE options.

Expectation Evenings

At the beginning of each academic year parents/carers are invited to a meeting in which the Headteacher and Leaders of Year outline expectations for the forthcoming year.

Parent-Teacher Association

The PTA meet to support the school. All parents are most welcome to become involved in this important part of our school community.

Parents’ Forum

All parents are welcome to attend the Parents Forum with Yvonne Watkins and the Senior Leadership team to discuss any and all aspects of life at Bourne Community College.

West Sussex SEND Information, Advice and Support Service

We work closely with the West Sussex SEND Information, Advice and Support Service who are available to answer questions in relation to your child’s education. 03302 228 555 send.ias@westsussex.gov.uk

14. What should I do if I have a concern?

If you have any concerns regarding SEN provision, in the first instance you should contact the SENCO, Adam Brazier, abrazier@bourne.org.uk 

Our SEN Policy can be found here.


History Battlefield Trip
Students had an amazing time as we visited: Ypres in Belgium, Bayernwald German trench system, Railway dugouts burial ground, Hill 60, Langemarck German Cemetery, Tyne Cot Commonwealth Cemetery, then to accommodation, Messiness Peace Village for some R&R. https://t.co/YCJwZuberq
Year 7 Geography students enjoying the sunshine
whilst working hard on their fieldwork projects. https://t.co/8q8a6dCaNk

© Copyright 2020 Bourne Community College - All Rights Reserved

Website Designed & Developed by Monster Creative