Jess has been awarded The Diana Award for her exceptional fundraising for Huntington’s Disease Association. compressed
In our ever changing world, being able to communicate in a foreign language is an open door to exciting opportunities. We aim to equip our students with greater knowledge and understanding of the larger world in which they live, communicate and work and help them become global citizens of the future.
Our aim in the MFL department is to ensure that every student we teach has an enjoyable and enriching experience. We want our students to confidently improve their linguistic skills and competencies and to master at least one Modern Foreign Language.
Key Stage 3
At KS3 students have the opportunity to study either French or Spanish. We believe that studying one language thoroughly will equip our students with the skills and confidence they require to use this language.
We cover the National Curriculum using a creative and cross-curricular approach that includes studying the following topics:
- Year 7: Harry Potter, free time and hobbies, school, food and drink, where I live.
- Year 8: Holidays and going out, parkour, music, clothes and fashion, describing my town.
- Year 9: We now start teaching GCSE content in Year 9, so that the students who decide to opt for a language in Year 10, will have had 3 years to study the course, and this will be a big advantage to them.
French and Spanish are optional subjects and very popular with our students. We follow the new AQA GCSE course.
Topics covered over the two years include:
- Identity and culture: Me, my family and friends; marriage and relationships; technology in everyday life; free-time activities; Customs and festivals
- Local, national, international and global areas of interest: Home, town, neighbourhood and region; social issues; global issues; travel and tourism;
- Current and future: My studies; life at school/college; education post-16; jobs, career choice and ambitions.
Students are tested on all four skill areas and this takes place at the end of Year 11.
There are four exams in all;
- Reading (25%)
- Listening (25%)
- Speaking (25%)
- Writing (25%)
Students are entered for either foundation or higher tier.
Trips and Activities
We pride ourselves by offering all our students the opportunity go to the country of the language they are studying at least once whilst at the Bourne, either on a residential or a day trip. We also have very close links to schools in France and Spain and students in Years 7 to 9 have the opportunity to participate in our pen pal programme. Here are some example of what the MFL department can offer your child;
- Day trips to France each December (Lille’s Christmas market and Boulogne).
- Residential trips to France (Paris) and Spain (Avila).
- Pen-pal programme where students communicate with a French or Spanish student from our partner schools.
- Plays in Spanish and French at the school.
- Cooking French and Spanish specialities (Year 7).
- Skype sessions with our partner schools in France and Spain.
- Welcoming visitors from our link schools in Germany, Holland, France and Spain who visit us throughout the year.
Mrs A-L Riedmuller – Curriculum Leader and teacher of French and Spanish.
Mrs C Salisbury – Teacher of French and Spanish
Miss T Patrascu – Teacher of Spanish and French