Dear Parents & Carers We have been advised by Public Health England that there has been a confirmed case of COVID-19 within the school. We know that you may find this concerning but are continuing to monitor the situation and are working closely with Public Health England. This letter is to inform you of the […]
Food Technology we follow the National Curriculum and aim to empower students to make choices and provide them with a greater range of options as consumers, users and makers. Food presents people with everyday decisions to make and problems to solve; to be educated about food has consequences for quality of life.
KEY STAGE 3
• Develop their knowledge and understanding of ingredients and healthy eating;
• Learn food preparation and cooking techniques;
• Be encouraged to develop and apply their knowledge of consumer food choices;
• Develop creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday food related tasks confidently;
• Evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
• Continue to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding gained in Y7, with an increasing degree of challenge and independence as appropriate;
• Develop their understanding and use of safe hygiene practices with increasing use of high risk foods;
• Investigate a range of factors that influence food choice;
• Understand the term “Food Provenance” and how issues relating to this can impact food choices.
In unit one students will
• Continue to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding gained in Y8, with an increasing degree of challenge and independence as appropriate;
• Develop their understanding of NHS Healthy Eating Guidance and relate this to specific special diets;
• Be further introduced to subject specific terminology and the scientific principles underlying some of these processes eg gelatinisation, coagulation etc.;
• Develop a range of sensory testing techniques to encourage critical analysis skills;
• Practise an increasing use of quality control checks to achieve a good finish on made products
KEY STAGE 4
This is an optional subject at KS4. Students follow the AQA GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition course.
A wide range of food preparation skills and theoretical knowledge are taught in relation to:
1. Food, nutrition and health
2. Food science
3. Food safety
4. Food choice
5. Food provenance
At the end of the course, students are assessed through:
• a written exam paper – this assesses the theoretical knowledge of food preparation and nutrition
• a food investigation – this assesses students’ understanding of the working characteristics, functional and chemical properties of ingredients
• a food preparation assessment – this assesses students’ ability to plan, prepare, cook and present a range of dishes.
CLUBS & ACTIVITIES
• KS3: Opportunities to enter cookery competitions organised by other agencies.
• KS4: Catch up and extra revision sessions take place in M23 after school by prior arrangement.
Mrs C Hall – Assistant Leader of Design Technology and Teacher of Food Technology
Miss L Harris – Teacher of Food Technology
Mrs C Gamble – Teacher of Food Technology
Mrs K Davies – Support Specialist