Clubs – Autumn Term 2017
Bourne Community College Transition Programme.
The Transition Programme at Bourne Community College aims to ease the transition from Primary school to Secondary school. Additional objectives include promoting student independence and self-reliance and boosting student social confidence. The programme has been successfully piloted in the 2016/2017 academic year.
Children are selected for the Transition Programme when their parents and/ or Primary school teachers believe that they will need extra support to settle into Secondary school. This can be for a variety of reasons, and the relevant teaching staff at Bourne are happy to confidentially discuss these with interested parties.
The benefits of the Transition Group to students
- Transition group students cover the same curriculum as all other Year-7 students.
- They are taught core subjects by a specialist English and Maths teacher.
- They are taught by subject specialists for Science, Technology, Languages, Drama, Art and PE.
- They receive extra literacy support alongside opportunities for extension.
- There is a gifted and talented Maths sub-group for students with that aptitude.
- The main teaching classroom is the BICC, a very well equipped and furnished learning environment.
- There is a computer for every child, and the surroundings are comfortable and colourful.
- The room opens early in the morning.
- Students may come into their classroom directly from the car park.
Additional support available to Transition students
- Until the Summer Term, children are taught for 50% of the timetable with one teacher and in the same classroom. This provides greater consistency and stability than regular provision at this level.
- They receive support with listening skills
- Students have optional access to the supervised M24 ‘golden ticket room’ at lunch time and break time.
- Students receive additional support with self-organisation and with homework.
- They receive opportunities to take on leadership roles; every child takes on a designated leadership position during Year-7.
- Students have increased access to IT.
- Support to students is gradually reduced during the year so that are prepared for Year-8.
- Teaching groups across Year-7 are reorganised in the Summer Term so that the whole cohort enter Year-8 from the same starting point.
The Transition group is not…
- A special needs group: The range of academic abilities and prior achievement of students in the Transition teaching group reflects the range of academic abilities across the Year-7 cohort. This means that, as in other teaching groups, some children in the group will need extra learning support and some children will need extension tasks to ensure that they continue to achieve at a higher than expected level. The smaller size of the group allows for more individual attention so that students can work at a wide range of levels.
- A group for children who demonstrate challenging behaviour: The Transition Group is a positive, safe and nurturing environment that aims to encourage self-confidence, self-reliance and assertiveness.
Getting in touch
If your child is identified as a student who might benefit from the Transition Programme, we will arrange a meeting with you to discuss any support that you think your child might need and to answer any questions you may have. The Transition teacher will then meet them during a transition visit to their Primary School.
Your child will be offered four additional welcome activity days in the Summer Term of Year-6, in addition to the existing provision of one day, to help them to settle in and to find their way around. We will invite parents to a Parents’ Meeting where you can meet key school staff, as well as students who have completed the Year-7 Transition Programme.
Throughout the year, parents are always encouraged to contact the class teacher or year manager with any important information, concerns or queries. There is a telephone in the BICC classroom which means that you can contact the teacher directly during the school day.
Mrs Liz Slater – Transition Teacher