The Information Technology department links many areas of the school. We support the use of IT in other subjects by teaching digital literacy as well as developing skills for computing and design work in Technology. We strive to give students opportunity to work together on small projects to develop their software and hardware skills.
To promote an interest in all things digital, programming, design and manufacture, digital literacy, e-safety, electronics.
Key Stage 3 Topics Studied (Years 7 – 9)
1 hour a week for all students with a scheme of work which includes 6 week blocks of work on a variety of applications.
- Models: Rules and Investigations
- Information and Presentation
- Data: Designing Structure, Capturing and Presenting Data
- Input, Process and Output
- Processing Text and Images
- Public Information System – Data Logging
- Youthwing Members Database
- Data Use and Misuse
- School Trip Modeling Exercise
- Controversial Issues
- Publishing on the Web
- Systems Integration Applications to find Solutions
- Global Communication
- Control Systems (scratch)
Key Stage targets will be set at the start of each year. A teacher assessment of performance will be made at the end of each year, with a final KS3 level attained provided.
Key Stage 4
Depending on which course is most appropriate for the students we deliver a range of qualifications
- BCS – ECDL electronic computer driving License
- BTEC – Information and Creative Technology
- CIDA – Certificate in Digital Applications
- OCR Computing GCSE
Trips & Activities
STEM club operates every Thursday and allows students access to a range of projects including The electric Car, which takes part in various races run by the GreenPower charity. We are also involved in “Race for the line” and delivery of the national Microbit programming initiative. Solidworks is our our 3D design software which allows students to develop their 3D printing skills through Technology and students have access through STEM club to do their own projects.
Mr D Ellis BA (Hons) – Curriculum Leader (ICTAC) and teacher of ICT
Mr M Carter BEng – Leader of Year and Teacher of ICT / Business studies